Equality Vision, Ethos and Aims
Whatever the nature of the local community, our pupils are growing up in a wider multicultural and multiracial society where they are subject to various attitudes towards minority groups, certain images of these groups portrayed by the media and their own unconscious bias. The school’s Equality Objectives should be read in conjunction with the Accessibility Policy and the Equality Policy.
“Responsibility, honesty, fairness and tolerance.”
At the heart of our core values at Rettendon Primary School lies the child. All children are different, all children are individuals and should be treated as such. Our primary purpose is to enhance the quality of children’s learning through the effective and efficient delivery of the curriculum. We are committed to honesty, fairness and responsibility in all relationships. We will adopt a philosophy of continuous improvement in every aspect of the school’s work and life.
Rettendon Primary School stands against all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability or ability.
- Promotion of cultural understanding and awareness of different religious beliefs between different ethnic groups within our school community.
- Monitoring and promotion of the involvement of all groups of pupils in the extra-curricular life of the school, including leadership opportunities, especially students with special educational needs and disabilities
- Actively close gaps in attainment between pupils and all groups of pupils; especially pupils eligible for free-school meals, pupils with special educational needs and disabilities, looked after children and pupils from minority ethnic groups
- Continue to improve accessibility across the school for pupils, staff and visitors with disabilities
- Endeavour to ensure diversity in the staff body
- Reduce the incidence of the use of racist, homophobic, biphobic, transphobic and sexist language by pupils in the school
- Review relevant school policies to ensure they clearly reflect the aim of inclusivity
In addition to the shared Equality Objectives above, Rettendon Primary School is driven towards tackling racism in our community and seeks to develop a culture of active anti-racism.
To achieve this aim, the objectives are:
- Addressing unconscious bias through training and wider reading for staff and pupils
- Ensuring that incidents involving racist language are dealt with swiftly and sanctioned in accordance with the School's behaviour policy
- Offering all victims of racial comments or abuse a meeting with a member of the Senior Leadership Team to hear and record their views, be assured that sanctions have been applied and to reinforce that the School will not tolerate racist behaviour
- Diversifying aspects of the curriculum
This page is awaiting content